A brief history
The winemaking tradition of the Russo family has been handed down from father to son until today.
Towards the end of the 1800s the great-great-grandfather Vincenzo Russo dedicated himself, together with the family, to the cultivation of his own vineyards located in the Solicchiata area, in the Municipality of Castiglione di Sicilia at about 700 m/asl on the north east side of Etna.
In 1955, Francesco and Vincenzo, respectively the son and grandson of the great-great-grandfather Vincenzo, decided to bottle the wine produced by the family vineyards by creating a small cellar. The first wine was called Solicchiata and it was 1956; D.O.C. certification Etna was recognized in 1968, the same year in which the brand changed its name to Rusvini until it reached today's brand which is Cantine Russo.
Today the fourth generation is represented by Gina and Francesco Russo who together with their father Vincenzo manage the historic family business.